Make Festive Cooking Merry with our roasted Salted Pistachios
Nankhatai is the quintessential Indian biscuit. With a texture that melts in your mouth, it is incredibly difficult to resist. Each of us has various memories attached to this snack be it evening tea with grandparents, saving up to buy some from the local shopkeeper’s glass jars or simply indulging in them with the whole family. Here is a simple recipe for a slightly different flavoured Nankhatai, featuring our Salted Pistachios Nutreat!
- Whole wheat flour (atta) – ¾ cup
- Custard powder- ¼ cup
- Baking soda- ½ teaspoon
- Granulated sugar- ½ cup
- Unsalted Butter - ½ cup
- Pureheart Salted Pistachios – ¼ cup
- White Cardamom- 2 pods
- Milk – 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Green food colour - a tiny streak (optional)
- Reserve one tablespoon of Pureheart Salted Pistachio for garnishing. In a mixer, blend granulated sugar, cardamom and the remaining pistachios to a coarse powder.
- Add all the dry ingredients - flour, custard powder, baking powder and sugar-pistachio powder in a bowl. Mix well with a whisk
- Add butter (at room temperature), mix well. You can add green food colour at this stage.
- Add a few teaspoons of milk to make it into a tight dough.
- Take a small spoonful of the dough, make roundels, slightly flatten between palms.
- Chop some Pureheart Salted Pistachios, press a small pinch of pista onto the flattened roundels.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees, for 12-14 minutes, till slightly browned.
- Cool them on a wire rack, store them in an airtight jar.
- Your Nankhatai are ready to go!