Diabetes is a chronic disease that is related to the metabolism of the human body. Usually, the pancreas cannot produce insulin which affects the blood sugar or glucose level in the body. Numbers suggest that India is the diabetic capital in the world – mainly affecting 70 million adults in the country.
Since eliminating diabetes entirely from the human body is not yet possible, patients are advised to look for necessary alternatives like regular workouts, a good diet, including fibre-rich food, and healthy dry fruits for diabetes.
"For this to work, you need to enhance the taste of these foods and understand what dry fruits are the best for diabetes. Diabetic patients also need to be extra careful when making such dietary changes".
Which are the best dry fruits for diabetes?
Despite some dry fruits being rich in concentrated fructose and having a spiking sugar level, diabetic patients need to find the best dry fruits for their condition. The most common nuts and dry fruits with low glycemic levels are dates, almonds, raisins, apricots, walnuts, cashews and the like. According to a detailed study conducted by Med India, dates, raisins, apricots, and sultanas are the best dry fruits for diabetes.
Explore more about the best nuts and dry fruits for diabetes that can be added directly to your diet:
Diabetic patients are advised to keep their weight under control, and pistachios contribute to losing weight as they can keep the stomach full for longer hours. These nuts will also help in keeping your cholesterol levels under control, promoting a healthier body and mind. The best time to consume them is between meals.
Consuming almonds after meals or at the start of your day could help in controlling insulin levels in diabetic patients. Rich in vitamin E and antioxidants, almonds improve blood sugar levels, keep the digestive system healthy and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Patients suffering from type 2 diabetes must consume 4 to 5 water-soaked almonds daily.
Studies suggest that cashew nuts have anti-diabetic properties and help in controlling the glucose levels in the body. Undoubtedly, cashews are the tastiest and healthiest dry fruits for diabetes. Induced with healthy fats, cashew consumption regulates blood sugar, blood pressure, body weight and cholesterol levels. However, it is advised to be consumed only when unsalted.
Peanuts are a very diabetes-friendly dry fruit! With rich fibre and protein content, it is easy to consume these nuts as a healthy snack. Not only do peanuts have low glycemic content, but they help in regulating glucose levels. Diabetic patients must avoid consuming salty peanuts.
Dates also have a low glycemic index making it one of the safest dry fruits for diabetes. They reduce inflammation and help control blood sugar levels in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Additionally, the antioxidants present in this dry fruit help control obesity and blood pressure levels.
Can dry fruits help win the war against diabetes?
Dry fruits have a large concentration of nutrients and vitamins because they are sun-dried fruits that have a denser taste and nutritional value. Experts suggest that dry fruits are rich in natural fructose, and consuming it in reasonable amounts can help moderate blood sugar levels. Furthermore, diabetic patients are prone to experience cravings for sweets, which could easily be controlled by the naturally sweet taste of these dry fruits.
These dry fruits for diabetes offer benefits like -
- Rich in vitamins, minerals, protein, dietary fibres, unsaturated fatty acids, antioxidants etc.
- They taste great and act as a natural sweetener for diabetic patients.
- Dry fruits for diabetes can be used as a healthy mid-day snacking.
- Dry fruits that have low or medium glycemic index are best for diabetic patients.
- Many nuts and dry fruits are rich in Omega- 3 and Omega- 6, which contribute to a healthier heart and digestive system.
- It helps regulate body weight while providing a healthy and flavourful snacking option.
- It contributes to controlling the blood sugar level and inflammation caused during the condition.
- Dry fruits for diabetes are the best option if you suffer from type 2 disease.
- Fatty acids like ACA and other polyunsaturated acids eliminate the risk of higher glucose levels.
- Protect cardio health and keep the blood pressure in control.
- Almonds are the most suggested dry fruits for diabetes. Eating them after meals helps to provide cholesterol-free radicals and lower the glycemic index of the food.
Note: Since every person has individual requirements, it is essential to consult a doctor or expert before adding new dry fruits for diabetes to your diet.
Diabetic patients must not compromise on the quality of dry fruits. PureHeart has the expertise in providing top-quality nuts and dry fruit products all over India. We cater to the purity, quality and freshness of the dry fruits for diabetes and ensure a pocket-friendly price for our customers. Grab your packet of flavourful nuts and dry fruits today!